10 Ways To Exercise At Your Work Desk<< Go Back
For those people who spend most of their days at work at a desk these quick smart tips are for you.
Here is Part 1 of a few quick and simple exercises you can do right at your desk or office space that will leave you feeling refreshed.
Part 2 includes workouts that incorporate chest, back, neck, core, shoulders, and arms.
1. Stationary Jog: Get up from your chair and do a quick stationary run for a minute next to your desk. Make sure to pick up your knees and give it a good effort. Once done you can get back to normal work as usual.
2. Climb the Stairs: Instead of taking the elevator like you usually do every day try taking the stairs instead. It may take a few more minutes to get up to work but it will get your cardio up for a little bit each day and help with your heart health.
3. Tap your toes: While sitting at your desk, quickly tap your toes on the ground under your desk. Do this for a few minutes and then relax. Alternatively you can stand in front of a small garbage can and lift your feet up and touch the top corner of the garbage can like a soccer-drill. This will keep up your cardio and get you into great shape in no time.
4. Get up and take a walk: Instead of lazily sending an email to a co-worker or calling them, get up and walk over to their desk, office, cubicle and speak to them in person. Just a little bit of walking each day helps keep you active and healthy.
5. Split Squat Jumps: If you feel inclined to do so while at work you could always do some celebratory squats when you complete a project or hit a sales target. You can do this by putting your feet hip-width apart and putting your left leg back two feet and balance on the ball of your foot. Then you need to lower down into a lunge and then accelerate into a jump. While in the air you switch feet so your right foot is now behind you and your left foot is in front. Immediately go back down in to a lunge and then repeat 10 - 12 times alternating each time.
Butt and Legs
6. Wall Sits: This is a great way to build strength while in the office and can easily be done without any equipment. Simply stand with your back against the wall and bend your knees and slide your back down the wall until your thighs are parallel with the ground. Try and sit and hold for 30 to 60 seconds. If this is too easy for you can always cross your right ankle over your left knee and then alternate.
7. Standing: This may not sound like a proper workout at all but the benefits of standing are significant when compared to sitting all day at your desk as you increase the risk of cardiovascular disease, obesity, and diabetes. Simply making changes around the office such as standing meetings will help you accomplish your goal of standing more in the day.
8. Calf Raises: While you have some extra time standing around the water cooler or printing documents why don't you do some calf raises? You can simply do this by standing with your feet shoulder width apart and pressing up on your tippy toes and holding for a few seconds. Then lower back down and repeat for 3 sets of 12 - 15 reps. If this is too easy you can try raising only one leg at a time.
9. Butt Squeezes: This exercise can be done without anyone even realizing that you are doing them at your desk. Just squeeze your butt and hold for a few seconds and release. Do this as many times as you can until you tire. The results will be uplifting in more than one way.
10. Desk Squats: Move your computer desk out of the way and stand with your feet together and bend your knees until your thighs are parallel with the ground. Once you are completely bent over raise your arms towards your computer monitor or straight up in the air. Hold in the squat pose for 15 seconds and release. Try repeating for 4 - 6 reps.
<< Go Back