The Benefits Of A Detox Diet Plan<< Go Back
Fitness and nutrition seems to be the trend that has gripped North America in the past ten years.
Many people are trying to find the latest cool fitness and nutrition plan that they can be a part of. The latest trend that has been extremely popular among celebrities is the "Detox Diet".
Everyone seems to be doing it from Oprah to Beyonce. The most popular cleanse that everyone is talking about is the Master Cleanse which is known for its amazing results.
It has shown to give quick results with regards to helping people lose weight. This trend has now become really popular and everyone seems to be doing it.
How beneficial is a detox diet and is it worth all the time, money and commitment?
Here is a quick guide about a detox diet plan and everything that you need to know before going on one.
What is a Detox Diet?
A detox diet is known to remove toxins and pollutants so you can get all the benefits from living in a healthy body. A detox diet is similar to fasting where you eliminate certain foods and substances out of your diet.
For instance, a detox diet is the gradual process of eliminating unhealthy foods and substances from your diet and slowly replacing snacks and meals with juices.
The juices that some people choose as a method of a detox diet consist only of fruits and vegetables. This is a great way to get the recommended of daily fruits and vegetables that many people struggle with maintaining.
Through the intake of fruits and vegetables many people receive the benefit of getting a lot of vitamins and minerals into their body. Detox diets can be a short or long term commitment; ranging from a few days to a few weeks. However, with the many benefits people find that the detox diet is really rewarding.
On the other hand, the downfall of any detox diet is that many people will miss out on getting the right amount of fiber intake; which is important because it helps with keeping your digestive system healthy and active and helps you stay full. Also, the calorie intakes are low and most detox diets only consist of 1600 calories or less which is considered to be an extreme diet.
So it is important to realize that a detox diet should be short term and something you do once in a while for a short period of time.
How Long Does Detox Diets Last For?
There is no specific answer with regards to how long a detox diet should last for because all detox diets are different and some of them only consisting of a liquid diet and some consist of both a liquid and a solid diet.
However, when it comes to any detox diet it should only be short term and used only to help promote a healthy living and diet. Therefore, by many it is recommended that a detox diet only last a few days; however, many detox diets can last up to a few weeks.
If a detox diet lasts for more than a week, then it is highly recommended to have supplements and/or protein powder as part of your diet as it will be needed to keep you body running in a healthy way. Nevertheless, if you are considering a detox diet that will last more than 7 days it is always a good idea to consult with your doctor to make sure that this is safe and healthy for your body.
Does a Detox Diet Help With Weight Loss?
Many people choose to do a detox diet as a way to help them lose weight. And in many cases a detox diet does help people lose weight. This is because you are no longer eating complex foods and when you eat complex foods the water ends up sitting in your body which can cause people to weigh more.
So when you no longer are eating those complex foods you will naturally lose weight. However, this weight is water weight, which means that once you go back to your normal diet you will regain all that weight which was once lost. Therefore, if you are looking for a long-term solution for weight loss then a detox diet is not for you.
This is because when you cut out foods over a period of time your metabolism rate will decrease; therefore, it will take longer for your body to burn fat. So as soon as you are off your diet the weight will come back and in most cases people will even gain more weight compared to before.
However, on the bright side with a detox diet and weight loss is that if you only do it for a few days it can promote healthier eating habits. This is because many people are able to get rid of their bad eating habits. This is perfect as it will give you the perfect start to stop bed craving and lead you towards a healthier nutritional path.
In order to develop a long term solution it will always consist of a balance of a healthy diet and exercise.
Does a Detox Diet Plan Really Work?
A detox diet within certain limits does work. This is because a detox diet has been proven to get rid of toxins and waste from your body. However, the liver and kidney does this job naturally as its main function is to get rid of wastes and toxins.
For that reason, it is important that a detox diet is short term and something that is not done often. This is because a detox diet will not be doing any good for your body as there will be no nutritional value and in some cases can compromise the role of the liver and kidney.
What Can a Detox Diet Do for You?
There are some benefits from taking part in a detox diet if done in a healthy and short term way.
Some of the benefits of a detox diet include:
Give you a Boost of Energy: With the research that has been done with regards to people who have tried a detox diet it has been shown that a detox diet can give you a boost of energy. This maybe because through the diet it eliminates the consumption of excess sugars, salts, caffeine, and bad fats. As a result, you are now getting all your energy from fruits and vegetables; this means you will not experience an energy crash.
- Gets Rid of Waste & Toxins: When you are on a detox diet it is a perfect way to get rid of wastes and toxins. By having toxins in your body, many people experience fatigue, mood swings, and health issues. Therefore, it is important to make sure that your body gets rid of unwanted substances.
- Weight Loss: A detox diet plan is a great way if you are looking for a short-term way to lose some weight and alter some bad eating habits and cravings. However, if you are looking for something that is a bit more long term then it is recommended to have a balance between a healthy diet and exercise.
- Improves the Look of your Skin: A detox diet has shown many results with improving the look of people's skin. As it clears, smoothes and reduces acne. This maybe because with a detox diet you are not consuming salts, sugars, and processed foods which in many cases promotes unhealthy looking skin.
- Promotes Healthy Changes: When taking part of a detox diet it is a perfect solution to help kill cravings and bad eating habits. This is because it introduces you towards healthy foods that can give you the boost of energy that you used to try and get out of unhealthy food choices.
What are Some Detox Diet Plans?
One of the most popular and well-known detox diet plans is known as the Master Cleanse. Celebrities from Oprah to Beyonce have all done it and have shown some amazing results. It is a 10 day cleanse that consists of drinking 6 to 10 glasses daily of a maple syrup, lemon juice, cayenne pepper that is infused in water.
The Master Cleanse helps people to overcome unhealthy diet choices and in many cases keep people to stay motivated and in control. It is also has a healthy amount of calories and nutrients to help with weight loss. The Master Cleanse has also been tested and approved which is why it is so successful.
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice
- Add maple syrup and cayenne paper in water
- Drink 6 to 12 glasses throughout the day when you feel hungry
- Take a laxative before bed
- In the morning use a salt water flush
- Repeat for 10 days
Source: The Master Cleanse
The 3 Phases:
The reason why the Master Cleanse is so successful is because of its ease-in and ease-out process which makes it easier to help your body to prepare for the diet changes when you want to begin the diet and when you are near the end of the cleanse.
- Ease-in Step: It is a 3-day process which you slowly eliminate processed and/or complex foods.
- The Cleanse: The 10 day cleanses starts.
- Ease-out Step: 3 days to slowly introduce complex foods again.
Many people decide to use the method of juicing as a detox diet plan. This is usually known as a method of fasting where you only consume vegetables and fruits in a liquid form over a time span of a few days to a few weeks. Like any other detox diet plan, it is used as a way to help get rid of toxins, wastes and to lose weight.
Here is an example of a juicing recipe which you can use.
A power gulp is a juicing recipe that is full of iron which is great for blood cells and muscle functions.
- 1 cup sliced kale
- 1 cup seedless green grapes
- 1 English cucumber thickly sliced
- 1 small granny smith apple cored and cut into chunks
- ½ cup of water
- In a blender, combine kale, grapes, cucumber, apple, and water.
- Blend, scraping down sides occasionally, until smooth.
- Strain juice and, if desired, thin with additional water.
- Before serving, garnish with a fresh kale leaf and a cucumber slice (optional).
- Refrigerate for up to 2 days (shake before serving).
DISCLAIMER: Before trying any of the more extreme detox plans please consult with your doctor or physician to see if the plan is safe and a healthy choice.
<< Go Back