Chemical Name: CONJUGATED ESTROGENS (ESS-troe-jenz)
Premarin is a TABLET but CANNOT be split in half.
PREMARIN is a female hormone which is available in a tablet form for women who do not produce the proper amounts and to reduce menopausal symptoms. Symptoms may include hot flashes, night sweats, vaginal symptoms and can help prevent bone loss. PREMARIN is occasionally used as part of cancer treatment in women and men. This medication is made of conjugated estrogens which are a mixture of estrogens obtained from natural sources. It should not be used to prevent heart disease or dementia, because this medicine may actually increase your risk of developing these conditions.
Since each patient may be prescribed PREMARIN to control different symptoms, it is important to take it exactly as instructed by your doctor or follow the directions on your prescription label.
Generally PREMARIN is taken on a daily basis and in different cycles, depending on the condition of the patient. It is recommended to use the medication regularly to obtain optimal results. Get your prescription refilled before you run out of medicine completely.
To be sure PREMARIN is improving your symptoms, your doctor may conduct regular physical exams and recommend you to self-examine your breasts for lumps on a monthly basis. You may also have your blood and thyroid tested often. Visit your doctor regularly.
Each woman may experience menopausal symptoms, anywhere from mild to severe. Consult your doctor to see if PREMARIN is right for you and to determine which dosage will have optimal results.
It is also important to discuss the following before taking PREMARIN:
- Previous treatment history with PREMARIN
- Family medical history (heart attacks, breast cancer, strokes, blood clots or osteoporosis
- Allergies to any medications
- If you have had a hysterectomy
- Plans for pregnancy or breast feeding
- Menopausal symptoms you are experiencing (topical medication may be a better choice)
- Kidney problems
- Epilepsy or other seizure disorder
- Low thyroid
- High cholesterol or triglycerides
- Calcium in your blood
- Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE)
- Gallbladder disease
All medications have side effects, but many patients do not experience them. However it is important that patients are aware of the minor, moderate and serious side effects. Some side effects which may occur while on PREMARIN include:
- Breast pain or increased breast size
- Rapid heartbeat
- Hives, skin irritation or rash
- Joint pain, stiffness or swelling
- Swelling of eyelids, face lips, hands or feet
- Tightness in chest, difficulty breathing or swallowing
- Weight gain
- Severe allergic reactions
- Abnormal bleeding from the vagina
- Breast lumps
- Changes in vision or speech
- Confusion, dizziness or fainting
- Mental/mood changes
- One-sided weakness
- Pain or tenderness in the upper abdomen or calves
- Swelling of the hands or feet
- Unusual vaginal discharge/itching/odor
- Weakness or numbness of an arm or leg
- Yellowing of the skin or eyes
This is not a complete list of all the possible side effects with PREMARIN. Check with your doctor if you experience any symptoms which are not listed above.
Product Code: 1733
What is a Generic Drug?
A generic drug is a copy of the brand-name drug with the same dosage, safety, strength, quality, consumption method, performance, and intended use. Before generics become available on the market, the generic company must prove it has the same active ingredients as the brand-name drug and works in the same way and in the same amount of time in the body.
The only differences between generics and their brand-name counterparts is that generics are less expensive and may look slightly different (eg. different shape or color), as trademarks laws prevent a generic from looking exactly like the brand-name drug.
Generics are less expensive because generic manufacturers don't have to invest large sums of money to develop a drug. When the brand-name patent expires, generic companies can manufacture a copy of the brand-name and sell it at a substantial discount.