Top 10 Healthy Recipes For Dinner
Dinner is an important meal to have at the end of the day as it comes with many health benefits.
For instance, it gives your body fuel when you are sleeping through the night. Ensuring that there are essential nutrients in order to get a good night's rest.
In addition, by eating a well balanced meal for dinner allows your body to balance blood sugars; this is really important in order to get consistent and quality sleep throughout the night.
It is also imperative to remember that eating fast food or unhealthy choices for dinner meals will not be benefiting you in anyway. You need to make sure that your dinner includes proteins like meat, beans etc. and also carbohydrates which include fruits, vegetables etc.
However, with a busy schedule it may be difficult to have healthy dinner meals. Nevertheless, there are simple and fast options for healthy dinner meals.
To make your life easier we created a list of the top 10 healthy recipes that you can make for dinner.
So try one of these super easy and healthy dinners during the week.
1. Brown Rice Bowl with Turkey
- 1 1/3 cups dry short-grain brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 bone-in turkey breast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds, optional
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine rice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 2 cups broth and 1 cup water
- Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook, covered, until rice is tender
- Line a baking sheet with foil. Place turkey on sheet and coat with oil. Season with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and brush with 1 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce.
- Roast, turning halfway through, until turkey is cooked and a meat thermometer inserted in the center reads 165 degrees
- Remove from oven and transfer turkey to a cutting board. Tent with foil and let rest
- Stir spinach, scallions and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce into rice with remaining 1 cup warmed broth.
- Thinly slice turkey.
- Divide rice and sliced turkey among 4 bowls; drizzle each with sesame oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
2. Flaky Mushroom and Gruyere Tarts
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 ounces assorted mushrooms, sliced
- 1 shallot, sliced
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 4 ounces gruyere or sharp white cheddar, grated
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 4 ounces mixed greens
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- Heat oven to 400Â° F
- Unfold the pastry and cut it into 4 squares. Place the squares on a parchment lined baking sheet and, using a fork, prick the dough all over
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the mushrooms and shallot and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook, tossing occasionally, until the mushrooms are browned and tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the wine and cook until nearly evaporated, about 1 minute.
- Dividing evenly, sprinkle the pastry squares with half the cheese, leaving a Â½ inch border on each. Top with the mushroom mixture and remaining cheese.
- Bake until the pastry is golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mustard, vinegar, the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and 1/4 teaspoon of salt and pepper.
- Add the greens and radishes and toss to coat.
- Serve the tarts with the salad and sprinkle with the chives.
Source: Real Simple
3. Pan-Seared Salmon with Kale and Apple Salad
- 4 5-ounce center cut salmon fillets
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 bunch kale, ribs removed, leaves very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup dates
- 1 honeycrsip apple
- 1/4 cup finely grated pecorino
- 3 tablespoons toasted slivered almonds
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 whole wheat dinner rolls
- Bring the salmon to room temperature 10 minutes before cooking.
- Whisk together lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add the kale, toss to coat and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Cut the dates into thin slivers and the apple into matchsticks.
- Add the dates, apples, cheese and almonds to the kale. Season with pepper, toss well and set aside.
- Sprinkle the salmon all over with 1/2 teaspoon salt and some pepper. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat.
- Raise the heat to medium-high. Place the salmon skin-side up in the pan.
- Cook until golden brown on one side, about 4 minutes. Turn the fish over with a spatula, and cook until it feels firm to the touch, about 3 minutes more.
- Divide the salmon, salad and rolls evenly among four plates.
Source: Food Network
4. Szechuan sweet & Sour Prawns
- 300 g pineapple
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 -2 fresh red chilies
- Sea salt
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger
- 24 peeled raw king prawns
- Vegetable oil
- 150 ml unsweetened pineapple juice
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon low-salt soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon corn flour
- 1/2 bunch of fresh coriander
- Peel and slice the pineapple lengthways into 8 wedges, then cut out and discard the woody core.
- Preheat a large griddle pan over high heat, add the pineapple for 4 minutes, or until charred and bar-marked, turning occasionally, then remove to a board to cool.
- Finely slice the peppers lengthways and add to the griddle for about 3 minutes or until slightly softened and bar marked.
- Peel the garlic and deseed the chilies, then roughly chop and place into a pestle and mortar.
- Bash with a pinch of salt to a rough paste. Peel, finely chop and add the ginger, then bash until broken down and combined.
- Place the chili paste into a large bowl with the prawns and a splash of oil, then mix well.
- Heat a lug of oil in a large wok or non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the prawn mixture and fry for 3 to 4 minutes, or until just cooked through.
- Chop the cooled pineapple into bite sized chinks.
- In a bowl combine the pineapple juice, vinegar, soy, corn flour and a splash of water, and then add to the wok with the grilled pineapple and peppers.
- Bring to boil, and then simmer over low heat for about 2 minutes, or until thickened and reduced.
- Pick over the coriander levels, then serve with steamed rice
Source: Jamie Oliver
5. Lebanese Chicken Wraps
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 200g Greek yogurt
- Juice and zest 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon all-spice
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 25g pine nuts, toasted
- Small bunch parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cucumber, diced
- 4 large tortilla wraps or large flatbreads
- Mixed salad, to serve
- Lay the chicken breasts on sheet of baking parchment, cover with another sheet of parchment, and then flatten by bashing them with a rolling pin.
- Mix half the yogurt in a large bowl with half the lemon juice, the lemon zest, allspice, olive oil, garlic and a pinch of salt.
- Mix thoroughly, and then stir in the chicken, making sure it is well coated in the mixture. Cover and chill for 30 minutes to marinate.
- Heat a griddle pan over a high heat and cook the chicken for 5 to 6 minute each side or until cooked through.
- Transfer to a board and slice. Spread the rest of the yogurt over the wraps and fill with the pine nuts, cooked chicken, parsley, tomatoes and cucumber.
- Drizzle over the rest of the lemon juice and roll up. Put the wraps back on the griddle pan for 30 seconds each side to lightly toast, and then serve with a mixed salad.
Source: BBC Good Food
6. Grilled Greek-Style Pizza
- 4 whole-wheat pita bread
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 handfuls arugula
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 2 large garlic cloves, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium skinless chicken breast, grilled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 20 grape tomatoes, halved
- 4 artichoke hearts, quartered
- 20 kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- Pre-heat barbecue to high
- Lightly brush both sides of each pita with a little bit of olive oil and set aside
- In a blender, combine arugula, parmesan cheese, garlic, and remained olive oil to make arugula pesto.
- Add 2 tablespoons water to loosen pesto if needed. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place pitas on preheated barbecue and grill until lightly toasted, approximately two minutes.
- Turn pitas on preheated barbecue and grill until lightly toasted, approximately two minutes.
- Turn pitas and top with equal amounts of arugula pesto, chicken, feta cheese, tomatoes, artichoke hearts and kalamata olives.
- Grill for another two or three minutes until bottom is crispy.
Source: Best Health Mag
7. Asian Turkey Lettuce Wraps
- 4 oz ground lean turkey
- 1/2 cup white mushrooms, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup shelled and cooked edamame
- 2 Boston lettuce leaves
- 2 tablespoons sliced scallion
- 1/2 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage and green cabbage
- 1/4 cup sliced jicama
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar
- In a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, sautÃ© first three ingredients for five minutes.
- Add edamame, scoop mix onto lettuce, top with scallion, and wrap up.
- Drizzle with sauce, and serve slaw on the side.
Source: Women's Health Mag
8. Frittata Florentine
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- Large handful of spinach or arugula, chopped
- 1 red or green pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup canned sweet corn
- 8 eggs seasoned and beaten
- Grated pecorino or parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350Â°F.
- Using an ovenproof skillet, cook onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat.
- Add tomatoes, spinach, red or green pepper and corn; sautÃ© for a few minutes.
- Add egg mixture to skillet and cook until bottom is firm.
- Sprinkle with cheese, if using and bake until eggs are set on top and cheese is melted.
- Serve with green salad.
Source: Best Health Mag
9. Chili Roasted Salmon with Cilantro Cream
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 4 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 5-ounce skinless salmon fillet
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 poblano pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup light sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Mist 2 large baking sheets with cooking spray.
- In small baking dish, mix together 2 tablespoons lime juice with garlic, chili powder, cumin and 1 teaspoon olive oil.
- Add salmon and turn to coat; let sit.
- In a medium bowl, toss corn, bell pepper, poblano pepper, and onion with remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil.
- Transfer corn mixture to one of the baking sheets; spread into a single layer.
- Remove salmon from marinade and arrange on second baking sheet. Drizzle corn mixture with remaining salmon marinade.
- Season salmon and corn with salt and black pepper to taste and roast 8 to 10 minutes, until fish is just cooked through and vegetables are tender.
- Mix together sour cream, cilantro, and remaining lime juice. Season with salt to taste.
- Spoon corn onto plates and add salmon. Drizzle cream over fish.
Source: Fitness Magazine
10. Roasted Zucchini Flatbread
- 4 small zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch thick rounds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 4 round, pocket less whole-grain pita
- 1/3 cup prepared hummus
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1 lemon, quartered, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Place the zucchini on a baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil, then sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt; mix well and spread to 1 layer
- Roast until browned and very tender, about 30 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Warm the pita on a grill until toasted, but still soft, and spread each with 1 heaping tablespoon hummus.
- Top each piece with 1 tablespoon crumbled goat cheese, 1/4 of roasted zucchini, about 1/2 cup baby arugula and 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped almonds.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
Source: Food Network
IMPORTANT NOTE: The above information is intended to increase awareness of health information and does not suggest treatment or diagnosis. This information is not a substitute for individual medical attention and should not be construed to indicate that use of the drug is safe, appropriate, or effective for you. See your health care professional for medical advice and treatment.