Cymbalta (Duloxetine HCl)
Top Brand Choice
All trademarks and registered trademarks appearing on this website are the property of their respective owners and canadapharmacy.com is not affiliated with them in any way.
What is Cymbalta used for?Chemical Name DULOXETINE (doo-LOX-e-teen)
CYMBALTA is a prescription serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI) medication effectively used for the treatment of major depressive disorder (MDD) and generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) mental depression. It is also used for pain caused by nerve damage associated with diabetes, diabetic peripheral neuropathic pain, fibromyalgia and chronic musculoskeletal pain due to chronic osteoarthritis pain and chronic low back pain.
Some patients may think CYMBALTA can be used for stress urinary incontinence; however the FDA failed the approval due to concerns over liver toxicity and suicidal events. In contrast, it is approved for this purpose in Europe, where it is used as an
Take CYMBALTA exactly as directed by your health professional. It should be taken orally. Try to take it at the same time daily. Follow the directions on your prescription label.
- Do not open, break or chew capsule; it must be swallowed whole
- It can be taken with or without food
- Do not take in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended
- Continue using the medication as directed - do not adjust doses without consulting your health professional
Talk to your health professional about the following conditions to make sure you can safely take CYMBALTA:
- liver or kidney disease
- seizures or epilepsy
- bleeding or blood clotting disorder
- bipolar disorder (manic depression)
- history of drug abuse or suicidal thoughts
- use of any prescription, nonprescription and herbal medications
- use of any NSAID pain relievers, aspirin, or blood thinners
- about your alcohol use
- your blood pressure
- if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant during therapy, or are breast-feeding
- suicidal thoughts, especially in patients younger than 24 years old
- mood changes
- increased pressure on your eyes (narrow-angled glaucoma)
- impaired thinking and/or reactions
- bleeding when taken with other NSAID medications
- complications in your pregnancy and breastfeeding
- increased sensitivity to side effects for older patients
- heightened blood pressure
The following should be avoided while taking CYMBALTA:
- drinking alcohol as it may increase the risk of liver damage
- operating heavy machinery
- any activity that requires you to be alert (until your body has adjusted to the medication)
As with all medications, CYMBALTA has side effects which range from moderate to serious.
Common side effects may include:
- dry mouth
- decreased appetite
- increased sweating
- right upper-belly pain
- dark urine
- yellow skin/eyes, or unexplained flu-like symptoms
- severe liver problems
- high fever or stiff muscles
- skin blisters, serious or peeling rash, hives, mouth sores, or any other allergic reaction.
- confusion, dizziness or fainting upon standing
- difficulty concentrating, memory problems
- problems with urine flow
Product Code: 5512
What is a Generic Drug?
A generic drug is a copy of the brand-name drug with the same dosage, safety, strength, quality, consumption method, performance, and intended use. Before generics become available on the market, the generic company must prove it has the same active ingredients as the brand-name drug and works in the same way and in the same amount of time in the body.
The only differences between generics and their brand-name counterparts is that generics are less expensive and may look slightly different (eg. different shape or color), as trademarks laws prevent a generic from looking exactly like the brand-name drug.
Generics are less expensive because generic manufacturers don't have to invest large sums of money to develop a drug. When the brand-name patent expires, generic companies can manufacture a copy of the brand-name and sell it at a substantial discount.