A generic drug is a copy of the brand-name drug with the same dosage, safety, strength, quality, consumption method, performance, and intended use. Before generics become available on the market, the generic company must prove it has the same active ingredients as the brand-name drug and works in the same way and in the same amount of time in the body.
The only differences between generics and their brand-name counterparts is that generics are less expensive and may look slightly different (eg. different shape or color), as trademarks laws prevent a generic from looking exactly like the brand-name drug.
Generics are less expensive because generic manufacturers don't have to invest large sums of money to develop a drug. When the brand-name patent expires, generic companies can manufacture a copy of the brand-name and sell it at a substantial discount.
Known as Neksium Control in the UK
Sign up to get exclusive coupon discounts and be the first to be notified when we have this product available.
Nexium is a TABLET in Canada. It CANNOT be split in half.
NEXIUM is a prescription medication that is used for several conditions. It is classified as medication called proton pump inhibitors. Primarily, NEXIUM is used to treat the symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), allows the esophagus to heal, and prevent further damage to the esophagus. It may also be used to treat other conditions involving excessive stomach acid such as Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.
Additionally, NEXIUM may also be prescribed along with other medications to prevent stomach ulcers. Its key purpose is to decrease the amount of acid produced by the stomach. It promotes healing of erosive esophagitis, preventing damage to your esophagus caused by stomach acid. Other physicians may prescribe NEXIUM to prevent gastric ulcer caused by infection with helicobacter pylori (H. pylori), or by the use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
NEXIUM is not for immediate relief of heartburn symptoms.
• adults 18 years of age and older
• this product is to be used once a day (every 24 hours), every day for 14 days
• may take 1 to 4 days for full effect
• 14-Day Course of Treatment
i.swallow 1 capsule with a glass of water before eating in the morning
ii.take every day for 14 days
iii.do not take more than 1 capsule a day
iv.swallow whole. Do not crush or chew capsules.
do not use for more than 14 days unless directed by your doctor Repeated 14-Day Courses (if needed) i.you may repeat a 14-day course every 4 months ii.do not take for more than 14 days or more often than every 4 months unless directed by a doctor • children under 18 years of age: ask a doctor before use. Heartburn in children may sometimes be caused by a serious condition. NEXIUM should be ingested at least one hour before a meal with a full glass of water. The tablet should be swallowed whole - do not crush, break, or open the tablet. The tablet is formed to release the medication slowly in the body. Tampering with the tablet may affect its performance.
Do not use if you have:
• trouble or pain swallowing food, vomiting with blood, or bloody or black stools
• heartburn with lightheadedness, sweating or dizziness
• chest pain or shoulder pain with shortness of breath; sweating; pain spreading to arms, neck or shoulders; or lightheadedness
• frequent chest pain
These may be signs of a serious condition. See your doctor.
Ask a doctor before use if you have:
• had heartburn over 3 months. This may be a sign of a more serious condition.
• frequent wheezing, particularly with heartburn
• unexplained weight loss
• nausea or vomiting
• stomach pain
Ask a doctor or pharmacist before use if you are taking:
• warfarin, clopidogrel or cilostazol (blood-thinning medicines)
• prescription antifungal or anti-yeast medicines
• digoxin (heart medicine)
• diazepam (anxiety medicine)
• tacrolimus (immune system medicine)
• prescription antiretrovirals (medicines for HIV infection)
• methotrexate (arthritis medicine)
Stop use and ask a doctor if:
• your heartburn continues or worsens
• you need to take this product for more than 14 days
• you need to take more than 1 course of treatment every 4 months
• you get diarrhea
If pregnant or breast-feeding, ask a health professional before use.
Drug manufacturers are required to inform patients of all known side effects of their products. Side effects of medication may range from mild to severe. Seek immediate medical attention if you have any signs of an allergic reaction, including hives, difficulty breathing and/or swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Common side effects may include: