Please be aware that all information shared here at Canada Pharmacy has been medically reviewed and fact-checked for accuracy. These verifications are made by board-certified medical professionals who have the authority required to state that information related to medical conditions, symptoms, procedures and tests, and standard treatment protocols is valid and truthful. This is based on current guidelines and consensuses shared amongst medical professionals, and in representation of the latest research.
A generic drug is a copy of the brand-name drug with the same dosage, safety, strength, quality, consumption method, performance, and intended use. Before generics become available on the market, the generic company must prove it has the same active ingredients as the brand-name drug and works in the same way and in the same amount of time in the body.
The only differences between generics and their brand-name counterparts is that generics are less expensive and may look slightly different (eg. different shape or color), as trademarks laws prevent a generic from looking exactly like the brand-name drug.
Generics are less expensive because generic manufacturers don't have to invest large sums of money to develop a drug. When the brand-name patent expires, generic companies can manufacture a copy of the brand-name and sell it at a substantial discount.
Sign up to get exclusive coupon discounts and be the first to be notified when we have this product available.
Alfacalcidol is a form of vitamin D. It is converted rapidly in the liver to the active metabolite, 1,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol (calcitriol).
* Hypocalcaemia (low blood calcium level) in the neonate.
* Low parathyroid function (hypoparathyroidism)
* Over activity of the parathyroid glands (hyperparathyroidism)
* Softening of the bones when there is lack of Vitamin D in the body (osteomalacia)
* The correction of abnormalities of calcium and phosphate metabolism in renal osteodystrophy.
The following are some of the side effects that are known to be associated with this medicine. Because a side effect is stated here, it does not mean that all people using this medicine will experience that or any side effect.
* Disturbances of the gut such as diarrhoea, constipation, nausea, vomiting or abdominal pain
* High blood calcium level (hypercalcaemia)
* High blood phosphate content (hyperphosphateaemia)
* Loss of appetite
The side effects listed above may not include all of the side effects reported by the drug's manufacturer.