Vytorin (Ezetimibe / Simvastatin)
Top Brand Choice
Vytorin (Ezetimibe / Simvastatin)
(Also known as Inegy)
All trademarks and registered trademarks appearing on this website are the property of their respective owners and canadapharmacy.com is not affiliated with them in any way.
Top Generic Choice
to (Vytorin (Ezetimibe / Simvastatin))
Prescription Required What is Generic?
What is the use of Vytorin?Chemical Name EZETIMIBE (eh-ZET-eh-mib) and SIMVASTATIN (SIM-va-stat-in)
VYTORIN is a combination of two medications called ezetimibe and simvastatin. Together, these chemicals are used to treat high cholesterol. Ezetimibe works by reducing the amount of cholesterol that your body absorbs from your diet. Simvastatin works by blocking an enzyme that is necessary for your body to make cholesterol.
This medicine may also be used to treat other conditions as determined by your doctor.
EZETIMIBE (eh-ZET-eh-mib) and SIMVASTATIN (SIM-va-stat-in)
Follow the directions for using this medicine provided by your doctor. This medicine may be taken on an empty stomach or with food. Take this medicine in the evening unless otherwise directed by your doctor. IF YOU ARE ALSO TAKING A BILE ACID SEQUESTRANT (such as cholestyramine, colestipol, or colesevelam), take this medicine at least 2 hours before or at least 4 hours after the bile acid sequestrant. DO NOT DRINK LARGE AMOUNTS OF GRAPEFRUIT JUICE (greater than 1 quart daily) or eat large amounts of grapefruit while taking this medicine. STORE THIS MEDICINE at room temperature between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C) in a tightly-closed container, away from heat and light. CONTINUE TAKING THIS MEDICINE even if you feel well. Most people with high cholesterol do not feel sick. Do not miss any doses. Taking this medicine at the same time each day will help you to remember. IF YOU MISS A DOSE OF THIS MEDICINE, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Before you start taking VYTORIN, tell your doctor if you have unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness while taking VYTORIN. Muscle problems, including muscle breakdown, can be serious in some people and rarely cause kidney damage that can lead to death. The risk of muscle breakdown is greater at higher doses of VYTORIN and in patients 65 years of age and older, females, and people with kidney or thyroid problems.
The following drugs can increase your risk of serious muscle problems if you take them together with VYTORIN. These drugs should not be used while you are taking this medication:
- cyclosporine (Gengraf, Neoral, Sandimmune)
- danazol (Danocrine)
- gemfibrozil (Lopid)
- nefazodone (an antidepressant)
- the antibiotics clarithromycin (Biaxin), erythromycin (E.E.S., EryPed, Ery-Tab, Erythrocin, Pediazole), and telithromycin (Ketek)
- the antifungal medications itraconazole (Sporanox), ketoconazole (Nizoral), and posaconazole (Noxafil)
- the HIV/AIDS medications atazanavir (Reyataz), darunavir (Prezista), fosamprenavir (Lexiva), nelfinavir (Viracept), ritonavir (Norvir, Kaletra), saquinavir (Invirase), and tipranavir (Aptivus)
- amiodarone (Cordarone, Pacerone)
- amlodipine (Norvasc, Caduet, Exforge, Lotrel, Tekamlo, Tribenzor, Twynsta, Amturnide)
- diltiazem (Cartia, Cardizem)
- ranolazine (Ranexa)
- verapamil (Calan, Covera, Isoptin, Verelan)
- drink substantial quantities of alcohol
- have had liver problems
- are pregnant, plan to become pregnant or suspect that you are pregnant
- are breast-feeding
Stop taking VYTORIN and call your doctor if you have any of these serious side effects:
- unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness
- unusual tiredness
- dark colored urine and/or clay-colored stool
- weight gain
- urinating less than usual or not at all
- chest pain or dry cough
- feeling short of breath or wheezing
- severe pain in your upper stomach spreading to your back
- nausea and vomiting
- fast heart rate
- loss of appetite
- headache, dizziness
- depressed mood
- memory problems, confusion
- back pain, joint pain, mild muscle pain
- trouble having an erection
- cold symptoms such as stuffy nose, sneezing, sore throat
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Contact your doctor immediately if you experience any other symptoms or side effects.
Product Code: 9277
What is a Generic Drug?
A generic drug is a copy of the brand-name drug with the same dosage, safety, strength, quality, consumption method, performance, and intended use. Before generics become available on the market, the generic company must prove it has the same active ingredients as the brand-name drug and works in the same way and in the same amount of time in the body.
The only differences between generics and their brand-name counterparts is that generics are less expensive and may look slightly different (eg. different shape or color), as trademarks laws prevent a generic from looking exactly like the brand-name drug.
Generics are less expensive because generic manufacturers don't have to invest large sums of money to develop a drug. When the brand-name patent expires, generic companies can manufacture a copy of the brand-name and sell it at a substantial discount.