<< Go back to blog

Allergy Season - How To Overcome It

Allergy Season - How To Overcome It

As soon as spring season hits so does the Spring Allergies! The flowers, green grass and warm weather may look beautiful however it can cause discomfort for 1 out 5 people who experience seasonal allergies.

What can we do? How can we avoid allergy season? What causes allergies?

Here are some suggestions and information that can help you overcome your allergies so you can also enjoy the spring season!

What causes spring allergies?

Your immune system work hard 24hrs of the day to protect you from bacteria and viruses. However, sometimes your immune system misreads harmless bacteria as a threat to your health. As a result, your body creates a chemical that can cause you to have a reaction and/or allergies.

Common allergens that many people react to include:

  • Dust
  • Pollen
  • Fresh cut grass
  • Flowers
  • Tress
  • Insect stings

That can set off a reaction in some people that causes discomfort and annoyance. However, spring allergies are common because 1 out of 5 people are affected. Although, many people are affected by allergies there is no cure but, you can take preventable measures.

How do I know what I am allergic to?

There is no specific answer because people react differently from person to person. However, specific allergies like Hay fever and other seasonal allergies cause mild reactions most of the time. For example:

  • Sneezing
  • Watery eyes
  • Coughing
  • Runny nose

Some people can have their allergies affect their digestive system causing stomach pain, nausea, and vomiting. You can also get to know specifically what you are allergic to by visiting your doctor and getting some allergy tests done. Some of the testing that you can get done are allergy skin tests and blood tests.

How can I manage my allergies?

Step #1: The first step that you should take is to visit your family doctor so you can know exactly what you are allergic to.

Step #2: Try to avoid the things that you are allergic to which can be hard sometimes. So things that you can do to minimize allergic reactions are:

  • Keep your windows closed as it will stop pollen from entering your home.
  • Shower often if you spend time outdoors. As allergens can stick to your clothes and people around you.
  • Wash bedding often as it attracts dust.
  • Filter your air to avoid pollen build up in your house.
  • Vacuum once a week to get rid of dust.

Step #3: Pre-treat your allergies 30 minutes before you go outside and/or are exposed to your allergies and minimize suffering. For example, over the counter drugs and prescription drugs are available at the local pharmacy to help with your spring allergy relief.

  • Take long lasting nasal sprays like Flonase Nasal Spray to treat symptoms such as itching, sneezing, congestion and runny nose caused by seasonal or year-round allergies.
  • Take eye drops like Alrex Eye Drops (loteprednol etabonate) that can help with eye swelling caused by allergies.
  • Take an antihistamine like Clarinex (Desloratadine) to treat symptoms of hay fever and other allergic conditions such as watery eyes, runny nose, itching eyes and sneezing.

Always remember to carry medication with you just in case you get a surprise attack. However, keep in mind that some prescription drugs take one to two weeks to start working and if you unsure about the instruction contact your family doctor. It is important to keep in mind that medications will not cure your allergies but will help minimize suffering.

If you have allergies does that mean your kids will too?

If allergies are common within the family history it makes it more likely for children to have the same allergies. "If one parent has allergies then your child has 33% chance of developing allergies and if both parents have allergies then there is a 67% chance your child with have allergies". So to stop suffering visit www.CanadaPharmacy.com to see the medication that can help you take you through the spring season!

<< Go back to blog

IMPORTANT NOTE: The above information is intended to increase awareness of health information and does not suggest treatment or diagnosis. This information is not a substitute for individual medical attention and should not be construed to indicate that use of the drug is safe, appropriate, or effective for you. See your health care professional for medical advice and treatment.


Please wait while the page is loading. Do not hit refresh or the browser back button to avoid any loss of information.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact our Customer Service team via the chat option on our website or calling us toll free at: 1-800-891-0844