Top Brand Choice
All trademarks and registered trademarks appearing on this website are the property of their respective owners and canadapharmacy.com is not affiliated with them in any way.
What is Proscar used to treat?
Chemical Name: FINASTERIDE (fi-NAS-teer-ide)
PROSCAR belongs to a group of medications known as 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors. This medication is used to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), also known as enlarged prostate in men. It works by improving the symptoms associated with BPH, such as decreased urine flow, difficulty urinating, getting up to urinate during the night, or hesitation at the start of urination. It reduces the likelihood of prostate surgery for men with BPH. PROSCAR must be taken on a regular basis to be effective. If the medication is stopped, the prostate will start to grow again.
It is important to take PROSCAR exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Closely follow the directions on your prescription label.
Take this medicine with a full glass of water. PROSCAR can be taken with or without food. Take the medicine at the same time each day. It should be taken regularly to get the most benefit. Get your prescription refilled before you run out of medicine completely.
To ensure you can safely take PROSCAR, tell your doctor if you have:
- liver disease, or abnormal liver enzyme tests
- prostate cancer
- a bladder muscle disorder
- stricture of your urethra
- if you are unable to urinate
- if you have ever had an allergic reaction to a similar medication called dutasteride (Avodart)
- Using PROSCAR may increase your risk of developing prostate cancer. Your doctor will perform tests to make sure you do not have other conditions that would prevent you from safely using PROSCAR.
- PROSCAR should never be taken by a woman or a child.
- PROSCAR can cause birth defects if a woman is exposed to it during pregnancy, so these tablets should not be handled by a woman who is pregnant or who may become pregnant. If a woman accidentally comes into contact with this medication from a broken or crushed tablet, wash the area with soap and water right away.
Most medications can cause side effects which can be defined as an unwanted response to a medication when it is taken in normal doses. Side effects can range from mild or severe, temporary or permanent. Side effects are not experienced all patients who take this medication. Many side effects can be managed, and others may go away over time.
Contact your doctor if you experience these side effects, if they become severe or bothersome.
- decreased interest in sex
- decreased volume of ejaculate
- erectile dysfunction
- testicular pain
- breast enlargement, tenderness, lumps, or nipple discharge
- signs of an allergic reaction including (e.g., skin rash, itchiness, hives, swelling of the lips or tongue)
Product Code: 1753
What is a Generic Drug?
A generic drug is a copy of the brand-name drug with the same dosage, safety, strength, quality, consumption method, performance, and intended use. Before generics become available on the market, the generic company must prove it has the same active ingredients as the brand-name drug and works in the same way and in the same amount of time in the body.
The only differences between generics and their brand-name counterparts is that generics are less expensive and may look slightly different (eg. different shape or color), as trademarks laws prevent a generic from looking exactly like the brand-name drug.
Generics are less expensive because generic manufacturers don't have to invest large sums of money to develop a drug. When the brand-name patent expires, generic companies can manufacture a copy of the brand-name and sell it at a substantial discount.